IBM Quantum is an industry first initiative to build universal quantum computers for business, engineering and science. This effort includes advancing the entire quantum computing technology stack and exploring applications to make quantum broadly usable and accessible. With a worldwide network of Fortune 500 companies, academic institutions, researchers, educators, and enthusiasts, we are committed to driving innovation for our clients in the IBM Q Network and the Qiskit Community.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Quantum is hiring an Events Coordinator to help the Community Team execute in teaching the world about quantum computing and grow our community of researchers, students, educators, and coders on the path toward achieving quantum advantage. This is a position for a self-directed creative thinker, tinkerer, and doer who can assist a high performing team in helping to shift this very large organization into a community-first mindset. This job is internally focused.
The ideal candidate must possess communication skills appropriate for engagement with internal team members, developers, and scientists, but must be able to articulate strategy and execution metrics to a C-level audience. You need to be comfortable viewing problems that have very little definition and then planning the steps needed to move forward. Above all, you must be a dot connector across many internal and external stakeholders, comfortable with complex problem solving, ambiguity, and able to deliver clear content and creative strategies to address how a team can scale while still effectively collaborating and communicating with each other. This is a challenging job, but also very fun for the right candidate.
A successful candidate should be prepared to:
- Collaborate with the Community Team to accomplish administrative tasks quickly and create norms and procedures in places they don't currently exist (including but not limited to new hire onboarding, scheduling team events, organizing attendees for client meetings, etc.)
- Lead and coordinate a large community of Qiskit Advocates by helping to write & track CFP submissions, organizing digital meetups, reaching out to potential new members, and own a metrics dashboard.
- Assist the Community team with internal and external communications, expense tracking, business operations, and program administration.
- Align with the client success teams needs to staff external facing events; scheduling speakers, guest lectures, small workshops, meetups, etc.
- Managing internal communications between IBM Q teams to ensure all parties are working diligently towards the same goals.
- Work from the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center (located in Yorktown Heights, NY) at least 2x a week.
- Help with planning and organizing large events and conferences to give people hands-on time with quantum computing and provide access to professionals.
- Assist with the scaling of existing internal programs (intern program, advocate program, internal research team events).
- Manage various orders for the team and local events (food, supplies, furniture, etc.) and maintain communication with necessary stakeholders.
- Manage swag fulfillment and shipments for various global events. This includes preparing all necessary customs forms and working with the shipping department at Yorktown to ensure timely delivery of event materials.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Experience with event planning and management; Experience with community management; Experience with Qiskit; Interaction with software development in large global teams.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Experience with open source projects and leadership; Background in quantum computing; Background in software development or project management.
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world's most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Location/Region: Peekskill, NY